Spring 2017 Runner of the Month for April is linked HERE.
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
CAMACO QUILT GUILD MINUTES
FEBRUARY 8th, 2017
The meeting was called to order by our President, Doreen Dever at 7:05pm.
There were no guests.
Karen McClennen, our Treasurer, reported a balance of $XXXXX. " It sounds like a lot, but we just collected our dues last month."
Name Badge: One dollar in fines were collected.
Charity: Eleanor Neff reported we are going to continue to make dog beds, but our main projects will be for CARA (Coalition Against Rape). Eleanor suggested having a "project" day , where we can work on quilts and animals for the women and children in these shelters.
Photography: Karen placed taken pictures on the side table. Please check them out and pick up yours( some have been there for awhile).
Program: Denise introduced a Challenge for the coming year. It will be who can finish the most UFOs( Unfinished Objects) by January 10th, 2018. There will be prizes for the most completed, most square inches quilted and the oldest project. We will log finished projects in a book and view during Show and Tell.
Helen S. asked all those who brought the 75, 2 1/2" squares for March's table runner, to bring them to the side table after the meeting and then take 75 varying squares to assemble their shamrocks at home.
(Denise had paper instructions for both the runner and the Challenge for those who do not have access to our Blog on the computer.)
The Committee also entertained some discussion on whether the group wished to continue our Thanksgiving Dinner Meeting or have a "pot luck" dinner in the Spring. They also raised the question of possibly holding a "live" auction.
Sunshine: Flossie is ill and Linda has volunteered to fill in for her. She is receiving treatment and could use some "well wishes". Diane Dunwoodie continues to improve and could use cards also.
Ways and Means: Doreen announced that Sharon Cadwell has volunteered to chair the Committee. However, she is ill tonight, so Judy and Diane Maguire are pitching in tonight to " never sell raffle tickets again". Danielle won the basket and the Guild made $83!
Refreshments: Barbara thanked everyone who brought refreshments tonight and announced those for next month.
Media: No report.
Doreen announced that no one "picked up" chairing the 2017 Lancaster Retreat, so 2018 it is.
Shirley thanked Doreen and "her Committee" for chairing previous Retreats.
Discussing a change of meeting times was postponed till later, since most were in favor of leaving our meeting in the evening. Peggy suggested we have a "driving committee"who are willing to bring members who find it difficult to drive at night.(Great idea!)
Doreen reminded us of South Shore Stitchers bus trip to the Lancaster Quilt Show, April 1st. (Information is also on the Blog).
In discussing Open Sews, Doreen said attendance had decreased and since Joey and Sandy (who were more or less in charge of these sews) are away, they will be cancelled till April. Also, the day may be changed to Wednesday or Thursdays if it would improve attendance.
Doreen passed out a ballot so people could vote for which shops they most wanted to visit on our bus trip to Lancaster in the Fall.
Doreen said some members want to "expand" our regular meetings, to include time to sew. Several people volunteered to look into the possibilities.
Doreen also had tickets for the First Presbyterian Church's Quilt Raffle.
The meeting was adjourned at 8pm, followed by Show and Tell.
Our next meeting is March 8th at 7pm.
Beverly Tyler, Secretary
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
2017 The Scrappy Year at Camaco Quilt Guild
We're considering unfinished projects scraps this year, okay???
This year's challenge is to get you quilting and finishing up those previously started sewing projects, loose ends, ufo's, works in progress(WIP) or whatever YOU call those projects laying around your house!
Here are some guide lines to help keep it fair and fun.
Definition of a UFO: a sewing project you have
- purchased a pattern AND selected fabric for prior to January 2017, BUT haven't started yet.
- a project YOU started previously and haven't finished yet, no matter how close to completion it is, as long as it isn't finished and able to be utilized as it is currently.
Definition of completed UFO: Completely done, quilted, binding on, FINISHED, ready to use. If not a quilt project it must be entirely ready to be utilized for it's intended use, ex: purse, a garment, home decor, etc.
Definition of sewing project: something made with needle, thread and fabric.
Time frame for finished projects to be counted: January 2017 thru January 10, 2018.
There will be a log book at every meeting for you to register and log your finished projects. MAKE SURE YOU USE IT, you will not get credit if you forget!!
There will be 3 gift certificates awarded in January 2018!
All prizes will be awarded for the work completed within the specified time line. If you've already completed a UFO this year, please log it!!!
The most square inches quilted (length X width divided by .015) This ones just for quilts. (We ARE a quilt guild after all!!)
The oldest UFO completed, the one started the farthest date from 2017, must be started and completed by the member.
**Please keep projects to personal projects, no work done on customers or friends quilts!** One prize per person.
Let's share our progress at meetings and on Facebook. Let's cheer each other on, or if you like some friendly competition...BRAG!!! Let's have some laughs and fun with our hobby and friends!!
The program committee will keep track of the projects completed and post some updates throughout the year to keep it interesting! I sure hope everyone joins in and gets some old projects done while having a bit of fun and winning a prize!!
Let's get sewing!!
Denise and the Program Committee
Sunday, February 5, 2017
Here is a link to the directions for the shamrock table runner for March.
Just click on this LINK and print!
Here is a video on using fusible web for applique if you need a refresher.
Here's a video for using freezer paper for applique.
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
CAMACO QUILT GUILD MINUTES
JANUARY 11th, 2017
The meeting was called to order by our president, Doreen.
There was one guest, Joanne.
Name Badge: Eileen reminded us to sign the sign-in book
Charity: Eleanor was not present. Doreen announced that the new committee had not met yet, but hopefully, a new project will be announced at our next meeting.
Photography: Karen has volunteered to be our photographer.
Program: Instead of a "block of the month", we are going to do a "table runner of the month" using our scraps. For February, it will be a Valentine theme. Mary Lou has the directions or you can access them on our website, CAMACOQUILTGUILDPUBLIC. March's meeting is a St. Patty's Day runner. Bring (75) 2 1/2" squares, green or green print for trading. May 10th's meeting, will be a speaker, Jane Hamilton. Her workshop, Simple Steps to Art Quilting, will be held on the 11th. Our September's meeting will be the 13th and Michelle Hiatt will be our speaker. Her workshop on the 14th, will be Finley's Fence, which can be viewed on her website, sewonthego.net.
Sunshine: Doreen reported that Flossie has been ill, but is feeling better. Doreen sent her a card from the Guild.
Refreshments: Barbara thanked everyone for bringing refreshments and announced those responsible for February's treats.
Social Media: No report. (If you forget our web address, just type in CAMACO QUILT GUILD and you will find us).
- I announced a correction to the December's minutes. "Open Sew" for January will be the 17th, not the 19th as recorded. (February's open sews are the 7th and 21st).
- Dues will be collected by Karen and her assistants after the meeting is adjourned. (Dues are due by the 31st. If you have not paid by then, please let Karen know your intentions.
- Doreen announced that pictures from December's meeting were on the side table.
- Doreen announced she will have to "resign" as chairman of October's Lancaster Retreat for personal reasons. She announced if someone else was willing to step up, to call her. If not, we have until Friday to get our deposit back. She is willing to chair the Retreat in 2018.
- The Pillow Case Race date has been set for 2017. It's September 17th, same place, same format. However, new this year, our Guild will give a prize for any member who makes 100 pillow cases prior to the Race. Pillow case kits are available at each meeting.
- South Shore Stitchers have invited us on their bus trip to the Lancaster Quilt Show, April 1st. The bus will pick up at KMart, Rio Grande at 7am, returning at 9:15pm. Dinner will be at Cracker Barrel and the cost for the trip is $38. It includes the bus, driver tip and the entrance fee for the Show. Send checks to South Shore Stitchers. (Full information is posted on our website).
- Doreen also said she would like to have a "day retreat" here. It would include lunch, a speaker/instructor and of course, GAMES!
- Doreen also asked if we were interested in having our own bus trip? She asked us to think about it and we will discuss it at the next meeting.
- Doreen also "picked our brain" on another topic. Several people have expressed an interest in moving our regular meetings from night time to day time. She stated that we do not have time to teach or learn during our present two hour meetings and that night driving and weather is prohibitive for some. She asked that we all just think about it and we will discuss it further at our next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm.
Our next meeting is February 8th, at 7 pm.
We played QUILTO after paying our dues.