Wednesday, April 12, 2017

May Lecture and Workshop Information

Jane Hamilton will be our speaker and teacher in May! 
The lecture is "Antique and Modern Trunk Show"

The workshop is "Simple Steps to Art Quilting" 

The workshop will be at the Millman Center beginning at 9:30 AM till 4:00 PM on Thursday May 11th, 2017. A materials list link is below.

The cost for this workshop will be $30.00 paid in advance.  

There is an additional  $10.00 payable to the teacher the day of the class

There is a limit of 20 students first come first paid/served.

    No sewing machine


CLASS FEE $10  (Pattern some mixed media supplies, along with use of instructors paint,and other mixed media supplies)

  • A plastic trash bag that you are able to tape to the tabletop and use under your work.
  • Paper Towels
  • Fabric - At least five pieces white fabric (off white, designs, muslin, light colors can work too)  about 13” X 18“ (size can vary smaller or larger),(washed and pressed) One piece may be used to put on top of painted pieces when you iron to catch excess paint and water.  
  • Pencil
  • Painters tape or Masking Tape to hold fabric and trash bag to table
  • Small container that will hold a little water (pint size plastic container).
  • 8 or ten straight pins
  • Paper and fabric scissors
  • Assorted Fabric Scraps for embellishments.  Bring a lunch bag assortment. (Bird, tree, leaves, Cupcake, Shoe,etc.) - Pieces can be less than 6” square so bring small scraps.  Look for different textures - lines, grids, black and whites, beak.   
  • You will need two or three decent but not expensive brushes, two flat and one round (approx. #8 size).   Round brush can be narrow but  one flat brush needs to be about ½ inch or ¾ across as you will be painting your fabric. The second flat brush can be ¼” to ½”. A firm bristle is best.  If the bristles are destroyed you will not be able to control your paint line..  If in doubt bring what you have and we will work with it.  Kids, flimsy paint by number brushes are not great to use and you may have to cut the brush end smaller so it is firmer if you bring this type of brush.  Cheap is ok, just not flimsy.
  • Freezer Paper 2 or 3 sheets about 8 ½” x 11”
  • Optional  - If you have a black or brown brush Pigma Pen or Pitt Marker bring it (.5 or whatever you have that is permanent and acid free) only if you have one do not go out and buy.  

Supply List Link to print

April Runner of Month

For April's runner we are featuring English Paper Piecing flowers.

It's missing an EPP Flower! Please don't forget to add your 3rd flower! Mine wasn't made yet!

Here are some details!

Below are links to help you with your flower, bird and leaf making!

Yo-Yo Making Information

Pinwheel Block Tutorial

EPP Stitch

******Bird and leaf templates to print******

*****Printable PDF directions here.*****

Supplies and Materials

Background Fabric cut 36 1/2 X 12 1/2
Green fabric for leaves and grass 4X12
Green for stems  2 1” X WOF  
Blue, orange fabric scraps for bird
44 2 1/2 squares
backing fabric 43X22
batting 43X22
binding fabric
fusible web 12X36 approx
5 inch pinwheel block trimmed to 3" and prepped for appliquΓ©* 
EPP hexagon flower
EPP hexagon flower 5 1/2”

*you could use a yoyo in place of pinwheel block if you prefer.

Prepare green and blue fabrics with fusible web on wrong side. Cut out stems, grass, leaves and bird pieces. Assemble the bird on a non stick sheet so you can tack him together with the iron and move him easily as one whole piece to the background fabric for appliquΓ©. 

Position your stems, leaves, grass and birds and adhere to the background as you like. I made a one sided runner, you can do as many stems, leaves birds as you like, press in place. If you prefer to draw in the bird legs and eye, use a fabric permanent marker. (keep leaves, stems and size of your flowers in mind when adhering to the background, you will add a binding that will take up 1/4 inch from sides, and don’t want overlap of other pieces).

Remove paper from EPP flowers, position your flowers on the stems and stitch around the edges to adhere.

Stitch details onto your runner as you prefer to fasten the leaves and flowers to the background. I left some detail stitching until I was quilting to help hold it all together.

Sew the 2 1/2 squares into two 38” strips and one 16” strip. Sew the two long strips together and sew onto one long side of the background piece with flowers. Sew 16” strip on the short end.

Finish your runner as you would a quilt and enjoy!

Sunday, April 2, 2017

March 2017 Minutes

                                                 March 8th, 2017

The meeting was called to order by our President, Doreen Dever at 7:05pm.

We welcomed Dottie Lindholm back as a member and Mary's daughter Pam, who was visiting.
Karen McClennen, our Treasurer, reported a balance of $XXX. A $300 "donation" was made to the Millman Center for providing us a meeting place.


Name Badge: Eileen collected $2.

Charity: Eleanor had an opportunity to purchase material at a drastically reduced rate for charity projects. She asked if we were interested for her to make future purchases, for which the group approved. Also, we were reminded to continue to save our Hobb's UPCs for Anna, to be used for discounted batting.

Photography: Doreen announced that Karen Trasatti will take pictures of individual with their Shamrock runners during Show & Tell and a group picture at the end.

Program: The information for next month's runner will be on the Blog, along with templates. Mary Lou Price demonstrated an easy way to make the flying geese for that runner. The book to sign in your UFO's will be next to the regular sign in book each meeting until the Challenge ends, January 2018.

Sunshine: Flossie is still in our thoughts. Meanwhile, Linda Fitch is filling in for her. Doreen also announced that Diane Dunwoodie is still not well and could use a card.(She has since had heart surgery and is recovering.)

Ways and Means: Tickets were sold for a St.Patty's Day basket and $101.00 was made.

Refreshments: The Committee Chair thanked all those who bring refreshments each month, but "please take your leftovers home." The "bakers" for next month were announced.

Media: No report.


Doreen announced that the group elected to continue our Thanksgiving Dinners.

 "Thank You" notes from the animal shelter for our dog and cat beds, CARA for our quilts and bags, and a note from Geri Pagliaro who has dropped out of our Guild because of the travel distance were read by Doreen.

Doreen also informed us that our September 30th bus trip to Lancaster, will leave Court House at 6:30 or 6:45am. We will visit Burkholders and Goods and then on to Intercourse for Zooks and the Country Store. Lunch and dinner will be on your own, however, coolers will be on the bus if you want to pack meals. We will leave Lancaster at 6:30pm and be home around8:30pm or so. The cost is based on 37 people and will be $39, due in June.

As for Peggy's suggestion for forming a committee to drive those who have trouble driving at night to meetings, Doreen stated she did not feel we needed a committee. Instead, she felt that once the new phone Directory is available, "call someone near you if you need a one will say no, I'm sure."

A Sew Day has been set up for April 29th at the West Cape May Borough Hall. We will make a $25 donation for the afternoon. We will set up tables on Friday and it is hoped that people will stay afterwards to help clean up. It will be held 10am-4pm and a signup sheet of those planning on attending was passed around. Our plan is to work on charity items. Doreen hopes that someone will bring an iron and ironing board.


Veronica Scutari announced the Ocean City Arts Center has added jewelry and quilts to their 55th Art Show. It is August 4th-6th. Additional information and an application to enter can be found at

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm.
Our next meeting is April 12th at 7:00pm at the Millman Center.
Show & Tell  of our St.Patty's Day runners and Challenge UFOs followed, along with refreshments.

Respectfully Submitted,
Beverly T, Secretary

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February Meeting Minutes

                                                FEBRUARY 8th, 2017

The meeting was called to order by our President, Doreen Dever at 7:05pm.

There were no guests.
Karen McClennen, our Treasurer, reported a balance of $XXXXX. " It sounds like a lot, but we just collected our dues last month."


Name Badge: One dollar in fines were collected.

Charity: Eleanor Neff reported we are going to continue to make dog beds, but our main projects will be for CARA (Coalition Against Rape). Eleanor suggested having a "project" day , where we can work on quilts and animals for the women and children in these shelters.

Photography: Karen placed taken pictures on the side table. Please check them out and pick up yours( some have been there for awhile).

Program: Denise introduced a Challenge for the coming year. It will be who can finish the most UFOs( Unfinished Objects) by January 10th, 2018. There will be prizes for the most completed, most square inches quilted and the oldest project. We will log finished projects in a book and view during Show and Tell.

Helen S. asked all those who brought the 75, 2 1/2" squares for March's table runner, to bring them to the side table after the meeting and then take 75 varying squares to assemble their shamrocks at home. 

(Denise  had paper instructions for both the runner and the Challenge for those who do not have access to our Blog on the computer.)

The Committee also entertained some discussion on whether the group wished to continue our Thanksgiving Dinner Meeting or have a "pot luck" dinner in the Spring. They also raised the question of possibly holding a "live" auction.

Sunshine: Flossie is ill and Linda has volunteered to fill in for her. She is receiving treatment and could use some "well wishes". Diane Dunwoodie continues to improve and could use cards also.

Ways and Means: Doreen announced that Sharon Cadwell has volunteered to chair the Committee. However, she is ill tonight, so Judy and Diane Maguire are pitching in tonight to " never sell raffle tickets again". Danielle won the basket and the Guild made $83!

Refreshments: Barbara thanked everyone who brought refreshments tonight and announced those for next month.

Media: No report.


Doreen announced that no one "picked up" chairing the 2017 Lancaster Retreat, so 2018 it is.
Shirley thanked Doreen and "her Committee" for chairing previous Retreats.

Discussing a change of meeting times was postponed till later, since most were in favor of leaving our meeting in the evening. Peggy suggested we have a "driving  committee"who are willing to bring members who find it difficult to drive at night.(Great idea!)

Doreen reminded us of South Shore Stitchers bus trip to the Lancaster Quilt Show, April 1st. (Information is also on the Blog).

In discussing Open Sews, Doreen said attendance had decreased and since Joey and Sandy (who were more or less in charge of these sews) are away, they will be cancelled till April. Also, the day may be changed to Wednesday or Thursdays if it would improve attendance.
Doreen passed out a ballot so people could vote for which shops they most wanted to visit on our bus trip to Lancaster in the Fall.


 Doreen said some members want to "expand" our regular meetings, to include time to sew. Several people volunteered to look into the possibilities.

Doreen also had tickets for the First Presbyterian Church's Quilt Raffle.

The meeting was adjourned at 8pm, followed by Show and Tell.
Our next meeting is March 8th at 7pm.

Sincerely Submitted,
Beverly Tyler, Secretary

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

UFO Guild Challenge 2017

2017 The Scrappy Year at Camaco Quilt Guild

We're considering unfinished projects scraps this year, okay???

This year's challenge is to get you quilting and finishing up those previously started sewing projects, loose ends, ufo's, works in progress(WIP) or whatever YOU call those projects laying around your house!

Here are some guide lines to help keep it fair and fun. 

Definition of a UFO:  a sewing project you have
  1. purchased a pattern AND selected fabric for prior to January 2017, BUT haven't started yet.
  2. a project YOU started previously and haven't finished yet, no matter how close to completion it is, as long as it isn't finished and able to be utilized as it is currently.
Definition of completed UFO: Completely done, quilted, binding on, FINISHED, ready to use. If not a quilt project it must be entirely  ready to be utilized for it's intended use, ex: purse, a garment, home decor, etc.

Definition of sewing project: something made with needle, thread and fabric.

Time frame for finished projects to be counted: January 2017 thru January 10, 2018.

There will be a log book at every meeting for you to register and log your finished projects. MAKE SURE YOU USE IT, you will not get credit if you forget!! 


There will be 3 gift certificates awarded in January 2018! 

All prizes will be awarded for the work completed within the specified time line. If you've already completed a UFO this year, please log it!!! 


The MOST UFO's completed by a member. 

The most square inches quilted (length X width divided by .015) This ones just for quilts. (We ARE a quilt guild after all!!)

The oldest UFO completed, the one started the farthest date from 2017, must be started and completed by the member. 

**Please keep projects to personal projects, no work done on customers or friends quilts!**  One prize per person.

Let's share our progress at meetings and on Facebook. Let's cheer each other on, or if you like some friendly competition...BRAG!!! Let's have some laughs and fun with our hobby and friends!!

The program committee will keep track of the projects completed and post some updates throughout the year to keep it interesting! I sure hope everyone joins in and gets some old projects done while having a bit of fun and winning a prize!! 

Let's get sewing!! 
Denise and the Program Committee

Sunday, February 5, 2017

ROM Shamrocks for St. Patty's Day

πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€ πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

Here is a link to the directions for the shamrock table runner for March.  

Just click on this LINK and print!

Here is a video on using fusible web for applique if you need a refresher.
Here's a video for using freezer paper for applique.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

JANUARY 11th, 2017

The meeting was called to order by our president, Doreen.
There was one guest, Joanne.
Name Badge: Eileen reminded us to sign the sign-in book
Charity: Eleanor was not present. Doreen announced that the new committee had not met yet, but hopefully, a new project will be announced at our next meeting.
Photography: Karen has volunteered to be our photographer.
Program: Instead of a "block of the month", we are going to do a "table runner of the month" using our scraps. For February, it will be a Valentine theme. Mary Lou has the directions or you can access them on our website, CAMACOQUILTGUILDPUBLIC. March's meeting is a St. Patty's Day runner. Bring (75) 2 1/2" squares, green or green print for trading. May 10th's meeting, will be a speaker, Jane Hamilton. Her workshop, Simple Steps to Art Quilting, will be held on the 11th. Our September's meeting will be the 13th and Michelle Hiatt will be our speaker. Her workshop on the 14th, will be Finley's Fence, which can be viewed on her website,
Sunshine: Doreen reported that Flossie has been ill, but is feeling better. Doreen sent her a card from the Guild.
Refreshments: Barbara thanked everyone for bringing refreshments and announced those responsible for February's treats.
Social Media: No report. (If you forget our web address, just type in CAMACO QUILT GUILD and you will find us).
-  I announced a correction to the December's minutes. "Open Sew" for January will be the 17th, not the 19th as recorded. (February's open sews are the 7th and 21st).
-  Dues will be collected by Karen and her assistants after the meeting is adjourned. (Dues are due by the 31st. If you have not paid by then, please let Karen know your intentions.
-  Doreen announced that pictures from December's meeting were on the side table.

-  Doreen announced she will have to "resign" as chairman of October's Lancaster Retreat for personal reasons. She announced if someone else was willing to step up, to call her. If not, we have until Friday to get our deposit back. She is willing to chair the Retreat in 2018.
-  The Pillow Case Race date has been set for 2017. It's September 17th, same place, same format. However, new this year, our Guild will give a prize for any member who makes 100 pillow cases prior to the Race. Pillow case kits are available at each meeting.
-  South Shore Stitchers have invited us on their bus trip to the Lancaster Quilt Show, April 1st. The bus will pick up at KMart, Rio Grande at 7am, returning at 9:15pm. Dinner will be at Cracker Barrel and the cost for the trip is $38. It includes the bus, driver tip and the entrance fee for the Show. Send checks to South Shore Stitchers. (Full information is posted on our website).
-  Doreen also said she would like to have a "day retreat" here. It would include lunch, a speaker/instructor and of course, GAMES!
-  Doreen also asked if we were interested in having our own bus trip? She asked us to think about it and we will discuss it at the next meeting.
-  Doreen also "picked our brain" on another topic. Several people have expressed an interest in moving our regular meetings from night time to day time. She stated that we do not have time to teach or learn during our present two hour meetings and that night driving and weather is prohibitive for some. She asked that we all just think about it and we will  discuss it further at our next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm.
Our next meeting is February 8th, at 7 pm.
We played QUILTO after paying our dues.
Respectfully Submitted,
Beverly, Secretary

Monday, January 9, 2017

December 2016 Minutes

                                              DECEMBER 14, 2016.   

The meeting was called to order by our President, Doreen D at 7:05 pm.
There were thirty three members present and one guest, Veronica, who plans to join in January.
Karen M, our Treasure, reported a balance of $XXXX.


Name Badge: $2.48 (?) was collected from "delinquent " members.

Charity: Anna thanked everyone for the quilts donated this year and stated that the new committee would select our next charity project.

Photography: Danielle reported pictures from previous meetings were available on the side table.

Sunshine: Flossie reported that Diane D sister passed away and that Connie T husband had a stroke. Flossie sent cards from the Guild to both.

Refreshment: Joyce announced those who are to bring refreshments next meeting.

Ways and Means: The usual $1/1, $2/3 or $5/an arm length for the prize basket.

Blog: Doreen announced that the name of the committee will be changed to Social Media. There was no report.


Doreen announced that she had called everyone who volunteered for committees for 2017. Some committees had too many volunteers and some, not enough. So if you are not on a committee, please reconsider switching or volunteering for one of our "needy" committees, like Photography and Ways and Means.

At the last "open sew", there was not enough attendees to make it worth while for the Township to bring someone in . Therefore, if you plan on attending in the future, please let Doreen or Sandee know. We need at least 6 people to attend and to be there before 11am. If there are not enough, those who did call in, will be notified that the"sew" is cancelled. ("Open Sews" are held the first and third Tuesday's, 9:30am-4pm and you do not need to stay the whole time).


OBATTS is holding their Spring Retreat at the Continental, April 20th-23rd. They will be doing a mystery quilt and we are invited. Talk to Bernie if interested.

Dues are due in January. They are $30. If you can not attend the meeting, you can send your dues in with someone or mail to Karen M by January 31st. Make checks payable to CAMACO.

The owners of the Fabric Outlet in Vineland are away for the month of January.

Danielle has a large quilting frame she would like to give away. If you are interested, see or call Danielle.

Two items were left at Helen's class...a small scissor case and a seat cushion. If these are yours, see Helen.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 pm , followed by our gift and cookie exchange.

Our "Open Sews" for January are the 3rd and 19th and our next regular meeting is January 11th.

We postponed Quilto until January's meeting due to time restraints at December's meeting so bring your fat quarters!!

Respectfully Submitted,
Beverly Tyler, Secretary