Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Guest Speaker Karen from Redbird Quilt Co. in September and Workshop Tuesday September 12th!

Please note workshop is Tuesday Sept 12th, 2017 at Millman Center 9:30am-4pm.



Align Your Free Motion Quilting Stars Lecture and Trunk Show 

 Geared toward domestic machine quilters (90-120 minutes) New in 2016:  Free Motion Quilting lecture that will educate on a variety of tips and tricks to help align your free motion quilting stars. I share 25-30 quilts and projects in my trunk and talk in detail about the projects that I quilted on my home machine. I point out key factors that help you become successful at domestic machine quilting – let’s avoid those FMQ Pitfalls and Align YOUR Free Motion Quilting Stars!! It’s informative, fun and inspiring! 

Sign up is now open! 
Check made payable to Camaco Quilt Guild and mail to Denise B over the summer to be enrolled!

Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) on a domestic sewing machine – Basics & Beyond “Aligning Your FMQ Stars” 
$40.00 9:30am-4pm Tuesday Sept 12th, 2017 at the
Millman Center

Shorten the time it takes to finish your next quilt – learn to free motion quilt on your domestic machine using practice quilt sandwiches. We’ll cover thread, batting, tools, tension, tips and Basic stitches including loop, pebble, swirl, echo, and meander (Basics). We’ll talk about how to align your FMQ Stars. A full day session is most beneficial (Basics and Beyond) and, in addition to the Basic stitches it includes McTavishing and Orange Peel Grid Motifs. 
15 students maximum.

***Darning Feet --  If you feel you need a little more information on darning feet let me know and I'll throw together a small handout for you to share with the Guild.    Personally I prefer a rounded darning foot -- for a Bernina it would be like the #9 foot.  On a Janome, I recommend the open or closed toe darning foot that is horseshoe (open toe) or round (closed toe).  


My favorite tools & why (Slider, gloves, high quality thread, needles, wool bat) Impact of needle, thread and batting choices on free motion quilting Pin basting technique ~ Plus Stopping, starting, jumping, tips Motifs – we’ll draw and stitch a variety of fun motifs 

Supplies: **Notes available during workshop at a discounted price 

Sewing machine with a Darning or Free Motion Quilting Foot (open or closed) 
1 to 2 yards light colored quality cotton fabric (cut into fat quarters for quilt sandwiches) 
½ to 1 yard batting (**Quilter’s Dream 100% Wool recommended) 
Spools of high quality 50wt cotton thread (**Aurifil recommended) 
Quilting Gloves(**Machingers are my favorite) - 
Basting Safety Pins **80/12 Needles (Top Stitch, Quilting, or Sharpe Needles) Paper & pencil to practice FMQ motifs Marking tool: 
**Hera Marker~ **Air or Water Soluble Blue Marker ~Soapstone ~Other 

Optional: **Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers (not recommended for Berninas)

Optional: **Supreme Slider by LaPeirre (regular or queen size) **comparable Teflon sheet 

Recommended: Extension table or surface (large flat, flush surface recommended) 
Extra: Bring a pillow for your chair!! The correct height helps avoid future aches and pains. 

Class Preparation: Cut fabric and batting into Fat Quarter quilt sandwiches prior to class. Cut fabric top slightly smaller than batting and backing fabric (1” all around) 

Questions ?? e-Mail Karen redbirdquiltco@gmail.com


Hi – I’m Karen L. Miller, “CEO” ;) of Redbird Quilt Co. 
I’m a quilter, designer, writer, editor, blogger and educator all wrapped in one crazy grandma! I started quilting in 2006 when my sister Janet asked me to join her for a $1 block of the month, Thangles – remember them? Thus the beginning of my Quilty adventures.

I dabbled in piecing for a couple of years until my first applique class (Needle-turn Applique from the talented Sharon Stroud) at which time I fell head over heels In Love with everything applique. Cotton applique led to wool applique and again I was in seventh heaven. Wool applique allowed me to finish a quilt top quickly so I learned to Free Motion Quilt (FMQ) on my home machine. For years I took every FMQ and Wool Class I could find – gosh that was fun! I guess you could say I was addicted. Panel after panel was quilted while I honed my FMQ skills.

In 2012 I began blogging about my Quilting passion and was fortunate to win some beautiful Family Tree fabric by Deb Strain for Moda. That was the start of my designing passion. I prepared a sweet little pillow design and submitted it to the Moda Bake Shop (MBS). It published in October of 2013.

Since then I’ve designed & published 5+“Recipes” as a Chef for the Moda Bake Shop – 2 of which placed in the MBS top 10 annual awards. The learning and growing and designing continued as I created my first ever for-fee pattern and began teaching at Quilters Corner in Ithaca, NY. The Candor, NY “New Quilters on the Block” Guild hired me to teach too! WOW – Maybe my love of quilting can become my retirement fun! Redbird Quilt Co. was born… Workshops were created… and the saga continues!

I continue my education with online classes and by attending professional training with my “quilty” mentors! I’m was thrilled to spend 2 days with the famed Karen McTavish in 2015 learning more FMQ Fun! Karen is an amazingly talented long arm quilter. She’s the bomb! I was recently featured on the American Patchwork & Quilting Radio Podcast with Pat Sloan – oh that was fun too! In the summer of 2016 I trained with award winning Long Arm quilter, Linda Hrcka of The Quilted Pineapple. I’m very fortunate to spend time with these amazing quilters! Thank you for inviting me to work with your Group – It’s sew fun to share my passion with others who are wild for Quilting! I look forward to our time together.

No comments: